Spiced with ground cinnamon, ginger and allspice, these muffins team apples and oatmeal for mellow taste and nutritious fibre. For best flavor, McIntosh apples are recommended.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger Pinch of allspice
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar 1 1/2 cups finely chopped and peeled apples
- 1 egg, beaten 1 cup buttermilk (or use milk or sour milk)
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease non-stick tins for 12 muffins or line with paper baking cups. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir well. Stir in rolled oats and brown sugar.
In separate bowl, combine apples, egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, stirring with spatula just until combined.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins filling them level. Bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
Makes 12 medium muffins. Good served warm with butter or a small wedge of Canadian cheddar cheese.