Soak apricots before the final preparation.
- 3 cups dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- Dry white wine to cover
- 4 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tbsps. flour
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 3 chicken breasts, skinned and cubed
- 2 tbsps. fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tsps. fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grated nutmeg to taste
- Sour cream for garnish
Soak apricots covered with wine for about six hours. In large saucepan melt butter over moderate heat. When the foam subsides, add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally. Do not let brown. Remove pan from heat.
With a wooden spoon, stir in flour to make a roux. Cook roux several minutes, stirring often. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring constantly to prevent roux from lumping.
Stir in apricots and wine. Add the cubed chicken, chives, dill, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set over high heat and bring soup to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cover pot. Simmer another 30 minutes. Garnish servings with a dollop of sour cream.
Make six servings.