- 3 cups sliced exotic mushrooms about 1/2 pound
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for greasing baking sheet
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss mushrooms, garlic, scallion, and vinegar in medium bowl. Spread on lightly oiled baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes; set aside.
- Toast walnuts in dry skillet set over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes; set aside.
- Inspect lentils for stones, seeds, or foreign objects and rinse under cold running water Bring lentils and 2/4 CUPS water to boil in covered saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat,- simmer until lentils lose their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- Place mushroom mixture, walnuts, lentils’ off, and herbs in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Scrape pate into medium bowl md chill. Serve with crackers.
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
- 1/2 cup barley
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 3 medium garlic doves, minced 6 cups sliced exotic mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper
- Place barley and 2 cups water in medium pot. Bring to boil and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add 5 cups water and tamari; set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms md salt and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Add mixture to pot with barley Add pepper to taste and simmer 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.