Here’s a make-ahead salad idea from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food. Bright green Ontario asparagus, cut on the diagonal, fresh herbs and sliced radishes add color and flavor to traditional chicken salad. Double the recipe for a calorie-conscious crowd.
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken (2 large chicken breasts or legs)
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes (6 medium)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon, chives or savory
- 4 leaf lettuce leaves (optional)
Steam asparagus until tender- crisp (do not overcook.) Drain and run under cold water to set color and chill. Pat dry. In salad bowl, combine asparagus, eggs, chicken and radishes. Cover and chill, up to several hours.
In small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients until smooth. Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss gently. Serve on lettuce leaves, if desired.
Makes four servings (about 330 calories per serving).