For a supper on a steamy August day, what could be better than Ontario peaches, garden- ripe red pepper, zucchini, tomato and celery, attractively arranged on romaine lettuce leaves and drizzled with a fresh basil dressing?
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 5 fresh peaches, sliced, unpeeled
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced into julienne strips
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced into julienne strips
- 1 large tomato, cored and cut in wedges
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsps. cider vinegar, basil vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
On a large, round serving platter, arrange washed and dried lettuce leaves. Spoon cottage cheese onto centre. Using four peaches, arrange peach slices in folds of lettuce leaves. Arrange remaining slices over cottage cheese. Arrange celery, pepper, zucchini and tomato attractively in spaces between peaches.
For dressing: Whisk together oil, vinegar, basil, sugar, dry mustard, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy. Drizzle all over salad. Serve at once.
Makes four or five servings.