This meatless lasagna is unique in that it contains a layer of hard- cooked eggs. (Hard-cook the eggs just until firm and yolks are still creamy; they’ll cook further in the casserole.) Combine the eggs with pasta and three types of cheese and you have a dish that’s packed with protein. Serve with a tossed green salad on the side and a fruit dessert for a well-balanced meal. The lasagna can be prepared in advance, frozen and reheated in a microwave or conventional oven.
The sauce for this recipe can be prepared in advance. If you hard-cook the eggs ahead of time and precook the lasagna noodles, assembly can be done in minutes. Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (7 1/2 oz/213 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) canned plum tomatoes (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dried leaf basil (or 1 tbsp. fresh)
- 1/2 tsp. dried leaf oregano (or 1 tsp. fresh)
- 1/4 tsp. salt 1 bay leaf Casserole:
- 1/3 lb. lasagna noodles (approximately 8 whole)
- 1 cup creamed cottage cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tbsps. chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 or 5 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
- 8 oz. Mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 2 cups grated)
- Chopped fresh parsley
Sauce: Melt butter in large saucepan. Saute garlic and onion until tender, but not brown. Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer slowly 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up canned tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Remove bay leaf. (Sauce can be cooked in advance and refrigerated or frozen.)
Casserole: Cook noodles in boiling, salted water according to package directions until tender but not overcooked. Rinse with cold water and lay on paper towels to dry.
In medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg, parsley, salt and pepper to taste and Parmesan cheese. Lightly grease a shallow, medium to large baking dish. Spread 1/3 of sauce in bottom of dish. Arrange in layers, 1/2 lasagna noodles, 1/2 cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 eggs and 1/2 Mozzarella cheese. Repeat sauce and layers, ending with more sauce and finally, Mozzarella cheese.
Bake in preheated 400 degrees F. oven 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbling. Let stand five minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley. Makes four servings.